Aged 11 - 13 Years Old
Smart Greenhouse Kit for BBC micro:bit
Minimum order of 10 units.
Unlock the secrets of nature with code, engineering, and the Kitronik Smart Greenhouse Kit for BBC micro:bit!
The Kitronik Smart Greenhouse Kit for the BBC micro:bit provides an exciting way to learn about the relationship between plants and their environment. The user will learn how to monitor environmental conditions and then how to build automated systems that react to them. Grow a crop of plants with this smart greenhouse that can be coded to monitor and automatically water them so that you can get them growing perfectly. This kit is compatible with both the micro:bit V1 and the new microbit V2, available separately.
The kit comprises a two-part plastic greenhouse, Kitronik environmental control board, water pump, Kitronik ZIP Stick, and Mini Prong soils moisture sensor. Also included are 5 crocodile clips, ZIP extension cable and a small screwdriver. Just add a micro:bit, seeds, and then some water and you will have everything you need!
The kit also ships with detailed assembly and coding instructions that will get you up and cultivating in no time. There are also 7 online MakeCode tutorials that build in complexity as you progress through them. They cover everything from gathering sensor data and having the system automatically react to it, to visual user interfaces and more. It is recommended that the user/student complete the tutorials in order for the best learning experience.
At the heart of the micro:bit controlled Kitronik Smart Greenhouse Kit is the Kitronik environmental control board. This board provides a variety of sensor inputs and connection points for the BBC micro:bit (V1 & V2) and provides the ability to control outputs for devices such as a water pump, fan, servo or heater pad. This makes it ideal for feedback control systems, such as the smart greenhouse kit.
- This kit does not come with a BBC micro:bit but will work with either a BBC micro:bit V1 or a BBC micro:bit V2.
- This kit is not waterproof. If you get the board wet, please turn off and allow to fully dry. Risk of shock is very small, but please be cautious.
- Due to electrolysis and being kept in a damp environment, the electrodes on the Mini Prong Moisture Sensor will degrade slowly over time. Please see our general safety advice document for more information.
- 2 x Moulded plastic greenhouse enclosure parts.
- 1 x Kitronik Environmental Control Board for micro:bit.
- 1 x Water Pump.
- 1 x Kitronik ZIP Stick.
- 1 x Mini Prong Moisture Sensor.
- 5 x Crocodile Leads.
- 1 x ZIP extension cable.
- 1 x Screwdriver.
- User guide Booklet, containing assembly and coding instructions.
- A web browser and an internet connection.
- One of the following;
- A BBC micro:bit V1 or BBC micro:bit V2.
- BBC micro:bit Starter Pack V1 or BBC micro:bit Starter Pack V2.
- 3 x AA Batteries or plug-in power supply with USB to DC Jack.
- Seeds, such as cress.